Kershaw has travelled extensively and his work can be put into series; for example:
- The Algarve 1964 to present day
- Pacific Islands 1993
- Argentina, Ecuador, Paraguay and Peru 1987 - 1994
- San Francisco/Oakland 1973
These are drawings, watercolours, oil paintings and some photos.
Recently, Walter has contributed to the production of an eBook, Triangle de John written by Dr John McCarthy. John has developed a brand new system to help people struggling with French verb endings and structure. Published by iTunes December 2013. See the painting of Paris used in the book.
The murals are generally large scale, external artworks. Examples are:
- 'Inside-Out House' - Rochdale 1975: Commissioned by BBC2 for their Terra Firma series - assisted by Arnold Solomon, Catherine Palmer, Tony Smart, Peter Dent and Eric Kean (www.erickean.com)
- The Trafford Park Mural (1st version) 1982: Commissioned by Trafford Park Planning Department - unveiled by Denis Law and filmed by the BBC for Nationwide News. He was assisted by John Abbot, Hilary Cooper and Brigitte Streich in this massive work of art
- 'Life in Brazil' - Higienopolis, São Paulo 1983: Commisioned by FAAP and the 'Cultura Inglesa' - filmed by Rede Globo, Brazil. Hilary Cooper helped Walter with this work.
- 'Norwich Images' - Wensum Lodge, Norwich, 1984-85: Filmed by Anglia TV for their 'Folio' series. Ian Starsmore helped Walter in Norwich.
- Avro and BAe aircraft murals at Woodford, Cheshire, 1983 and 2006: Painted jointly with Peter Dent.
- Manchester United murals, 1986 to 1988: Researched by Cliff Butler; designed by Peter Dent; painted by Walter Kershaw; and unveiled by Sir Matt Busby, Martin Edwards and Sir Alex Ferguson.
- Sarajevo Winter Festival, Bosnia 1996: Murals by Andrea Tierney, Gillian Halliwell, Jack Lewis and Walter Kershaw. Commissioned by the Austrian Embassy in Sarajevo, and filmed for Bosnian TV.
- 'After the Bomb' 1996, Arndale Centre, Manchester: Temporary murals on MDF shuttering to disguise bomb damage. Manchester themes. Painted jointly with Gillian Halliwell. Commissioned by Arndale Management and P&O.
- Gable end mural, painted as part of Dulwich Outdoor Gallery, Dulwich/Peckham, London May 2014. corner of Choumert Rd and Bellenden Rd with help from Peter Seth and Richard Dent.